What are Energy Efficient Devices?


There are many different devices out there that can improve your building’s energy efficiency and reduce costs. What are they? How do they improve your building’s energy use?

Here are a few of the more common energy efficient devices you may want to consider investing in:

LED Lights

You may not think that the type of light bulb you use has that great of an impact on your building’s energy efficiency, but you’d be wrong. As far as energy efficient devices go, LED lights are a must.

Yes, LED lights are more expensive than CFLs or standard incandescent bulbs. But the differences between them are too great to ignore:

  • LEDs last longer than any other type of light bulb. Some LEDs have lifespans of up to 100,000 hours. That’s roughly 11 years of continuous use or 22 years at 50 percent operation. You could leave it on for eight hours a day and it would last around 20 years. This means that even though LEDs are expensive, they won’t need to be replaced for a long time.
  • LEDs use between 80 and 90 percent of the energy they use to produce light. Regular incandescent lights use only about 20 percent of the energy they absorb. The other 80 percent is lost in heat. LEDs are way more energy efficient – and it’s not even close.
  • LEDs are less likely to break. They resist shocks, vibrations and impact, making them a better option for exteriors, as well as locations like warehouses.

Smart Thermostats

Although programmable thermostats, which allow you to set different temperatures for different times based on a day-to-day schedule, can help to reduce wasted energy, smart thermostats are even more energy efficient.

What makes a smart thermostat so special is the amount of options it provides users for the entire building. For example, a smart thermostat allows you to control the temperature in your building remotely and show energy consumption in real time. They will even adjust themselves based on humidity conditions.

What makes them even more useful than programmable thermostats is the fact that they will learn from your behavior and adjust themselves accordingly without having to be programmed!

As you can imagine, these features combine to reduce energy use by a large amount.

Energy Star Products

Energy Star is a program created by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). Federal regulations require appliances to meet certain energy efficient standards. Products that surpass those energy efficiency standards are branded with the Energy Star label. When you install an Energy Star product, you’re installing a product that’s more efficient than most other options.

Energy Star products tend to cost more up front, but they make up for the cost in the amount they help you save on your energy bill. Energy Star approved appliances to be on the lookout for include refrigerators, windows, doors, insulation, lights, HVAC units, water heaters and vending machines.

Ceiling Fans

Believe it or not, ceiling fans can be useful when it comes to saving energy. During the summers, ceiling fans running in a counterclockwise rotation will disperse cool air throughout a room, allowing you to reduce the use of air conditioning by a couple of degrees.

In the winters, you can switch the setting on your ceiling fans so that they run clockwise. This pushes heat throughout the room, allowing you to reduce the heat by a couple of degrees.

Ceiling fans help you to reduce your building’s reliance on cooling and heating, thereby reducing its energy use. Consider installing them in every room!

BOSS smart plug imagePlug Load Controllers

Plug load controls monitor, control and automate the energy use of the appliances and electronics plugged into your building’s outlets. Because appliances absorb phantom power when they are plugged in (even when they’re shut off), plug load controls can greatly reduce energy use throughout your building.

BOSS’s plug load controls, called Smart Plugs, are completely automated. You set the schedule of when you would like your devices to turn on and off. And, you can adjust your BOSS Smart plugs from anywhere, anytime via our Atmospheres® software.


You can get started with Plug Load Control in your own building.

Fill out this form to download our FREE Plug Load Control Implementation Checklist.



These are just a few of the energy efficient devices you should consider to reduce the energy use in your building.

What does your building do to be more energy efficient?

Do you want to become a part of the $60 billion in energy cost savings in the US alone with the implementation of energy efficiency devices?

Keep up-to-date with all of our news and blogs.